Fredericksburg Area Chapter
2018 Scholarships - Each year our chapter awards scholarships to rising Virginia Tech freshmen from our chapter's geographic footprint. This year, we are awarding two scholarships worth $1,000 each. This year we will also be awarding a special $1,500 scholarship to a student enrolling in the Corps of Cadets in memory of one of our long-time active chapter members, Col. James "Hokie Jim" Brown, Class of 1960.
Earlier this month, our scholarship committee met to review the 27 applications we received for our 2018 scholarship program. The quality of the applicants shows us just how bright the future of the Hokie Nation is, as well as making the decisions very difficult.
We are pleased to announce that we have selected the following three students as recipients of our 2018 scholarships.
Retail Partnership - The Fredericksburg Chapter of the VTAA has partnered with an online retailer, Tradition, to offer discounts on officially licensed Virginia Tech apparel to Hokies. In addition to Tradition providing a 15% discount on your purchase, they will donate 15% of the net sale to our Chapter's Scholarship Fund. To take advantage of this offer, just visit traditioneversince.com and enter the code VTALUM as your discount code during the checkout process. If you have any questions about this partnership, please contact Scott Mason (email - firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are happy to announce that you can now make a tax-free contribution to the Fredericksburg Area Chapter Scholarship Fund through the Virginia Tech Foundation. Your contribution will help us to continue to give scholarships to area high school seniors who will be continuing their education at Virginia Tech. Please click here to make an online contribution or for information about how to contribute by check.
Did you know that we maintain an online Hokie Business Directory for the Fredericksburg area? If you're a Hokie (or related to a Hokie) and want to get your business listed, the "how to" information is on the directory web page. We are currently offering this service for free.
We now have a group page on Facebook. You can visit our page and join us by clicking on the Facebook logo. You can also follow us on Twitter at @FxbgHokies.
Please help us keep you informed about Virginia Tech and the Fredericksburg Area Chapter of the VTAA by letting us know your email address. Click here to get on our email list. This is a confidential list, and your e-mail address will not be shared. Only Hokie related mail will be sent.
July 30 (Monday) -- Chapter Meeting & Dinner -- Join us for our Chapter meeting at Home Team Grill, located in Eagle Village, across Route One from UMW's campus. We have a private room reserved, and will have dinner at 6:00 PM, followed by our Chapter meeting at 7:00 PM. Please come out and learn how to get more involved with your Chapter! The main items on the agenda for this meeting will be planning for the Crabfest/Picnic and the Golf Tournament.
August 5 (Sunday), 4-6 PM -- Welcome Freshmen Crabfest and Picnic - Come and join with us as we welcome the Fredericksburg Area Virginia Tech Class of 2022! The event will be held at the Knights of Pythias Pavilion, 330 Wallace Lane, Fredericksburg. We'll have crabs, burgers, hot dogs and all the fixin's. We'll also be auctioning off some Hokie items to raise money for the Chapter's Scholarship Fund. Registration fees are:
- $40 for crab eaters, $15 for non-crab eaters
- VT Class of 2018 and current VT students are half-price
- Children (12 and under) and incoming VT freshmen are FREE!
August 13 (Monday) -- Hokie Club/Alumni Association Golf Tournament, Dinner, and Chalk Talk - Join us at the Fredericksburg Country Club, with golf starting at 1:00 PM and/or dinner at 6:00 PM followed by the Football Chalk Talk with Jon Laaser (Voice of the Hokies) and Mike Burnop (VT Hall of Famer and Network Analyst). Click here for the event flyer with all the details and the registration form.
- The flyer also has information about sponsorship opportunities.
- Proceeds from this fund raiser will be split 50/50 between the Virginia Tech Athletic Foundation for athletic scholarships and the Fredericksburg Area Chapter of the Virginia Tech Alumni Assocation.
- You can come to the dinner and Chalk Talk even if you don't play golf.
- We'll have some great Hokie items to auction off!
Pictures from Previous Events (click on the date)
- Day of Remembrance - April 16, 2014
- The Big Event - April 5, 2014 -- April 6, 2013
- Orange & Maroon Tour Event -- May 1, 2013 -- May 10, 2012 -- May 11, 2011
- HFFI Candlelight Tour -- December 11-12, 2010
- Football Season Kick-Off Event at Splitsville -- August 19, 2010
- Wine Tours -- March 29, 2014 -- March 26, 2011 -- March 27, 2010 -- March 21, 2009 -- March 15, 2008
- Crab Fests & Picnics -- August 4, 2013 -- August 7, 2011 -- August 8, 2010 -- August 2, 2009 -- August 3, 2008
Virginia Tech - www.vt.edu
Virginia Tech Admissions Information - www.vt.edu/apply/
Virginia Tech Youtube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/VirginiaTech
Virginia Tech Alumni Association (VTAA) - www.alumni.vt.edu
VTAA - Hokie Nation Serves - www.alumni.vt.edu/hokienationserves/
VTAA - Career Resources - www.alumni.vt.edu/career/
VT Bugle Archives - spec.lib.vt.edu/archives/bugle/
Virginia Tech - We Remember - www.weremember.vt.edu/
The Fredericksburg Area Chapter of the Virginia Tech Alumni Association serves the City of Fredericksburg, and the counties of King George, Caroline, Stafford, and Spotsylvania. The basic purpose of our chapter is to:
- Provide an important link between alumni and the university
- Promote the image and reputation of Virginia Tech within the community
- Promote strong positive relationships among alumni, students, parents and others within the community
- Support the activities of Virginia Tech and work toward the realization of the university's educational goals
- Provide the university with a strong core of alumni volunteers who serve as an important marketing arm of the university
- Promote the Hokie spirit of Virginia Tech
The Fredericksburg Area Chapter of the Virginia Tech Alumni Association is part of an international network of Virginia Tech alumni and friends. For more information on Hokies in your area, visit the Alumni Association Site at www.alumni.vt.edu
Become involved! We need your help, your ideas, and your opinions to make our chapter truly fantastic. Upcoming planned service opportunities are listed below. We will post details about them in the Events section of this page when details become available.
If you have questions or comments, or ideas for service projects or fund raisers, contact our Chapter President, John Palmer.
TechSideLine.com (not affiliated with Virginia Tech)
Web Site Info
Date of Last Update - June 20, 2018
If you have any questions or suggestions concerning this web page, please contact our Social Media Coordinator, Frank Eak.
Page views since we rehosted our web site (November 23, 2008).